Page that fully complies with the search phrase entered by the user in the search box is a relevant page.
A relevant page for any requested phrase in the context of SEO optimization means that this page most fully reveals the essence of this phrase.
In other words, the relevant pages most accurately respond to a user’s query.
It means that in response to a Google query “how to create a website”, for example, the search robot finds a page that contains the most complete and accurate information about creating a website.
How to Increase Page Relevance
In order to find out how to make a page relevant, it is necessary to figure out the criteria by which the relevance is determined.
Search engines define the relevance of a page to a query based on multiple factors and complex algorithms.
Consequently, each search engine will have its own results when determining which information is most relevant for the query.
Thus, the search results in Yahoo! for the same phrase will be one, and the results in Google will be completely different.
Search relevance also depends on the accuracy of the user’s query. The more specific the query is, the easier it is for a search robot to find a relevant document.
Content and Link Relevancy
Basically, there are two types of page relevance: internal and external.
Internal relevance is also called text relevance or content relevance, since it directly depends on the presence of the requested words and phrases on the page. Relevance criteria include content elements such as visible text as well as images or videos. In addition, relevance can be derived from meta elements such as title, meta description, and alternative tags.
External relevance of a page is also called link relevance, since it depends on the page’s citation on other resources and the popularity of the site on the Internet. Link relevance still plays a large role and characterizes the match to search phrases of natural links from other sites, and takes into account their number and variety. Google checks which sites you link to, which sites link to you, and your internal links. By looking at your links, it will be able to identify what your business is. Along with comprehension of your niche, it can define what services or products you offer.
Criteria for Determining Content Relevance
- The density of the content of the requested phrase is determined by the frequency of use of word forms corresponding to the request.
- The presence of key phrases in headings, subheadings, meta tags significantly increases the index of page compliance with the specified parameters.
- Adding key phrases to the design and layout of the page positively contributes to its relevancy.
- Search engines are able to recognize synonyms and constructions, and match them with the requested phrase. The presence of words synonymous with the query serves as a signal for the search robot about the page relevancy.
- The relevance of the page depends on the regularity of updating the site content, and indicates the information is fresh and relevant for the user.
- With the help of internal linking, you can link pages within the site with hyperlinks, which indicates the structure and integrity of the resource as a whole, and increases the chances of indexing pages by the search engine.
Criteria for Determining Link Relevance
- Search engines determine the authority of the resource from which the external link is placed, as well as the correspondence of the content of the donor site to the subject of the request.
- The authority of a resource is defined by the quality and uniqueness of the content, and does not depend on keywords.
- Popularity is assessed based on the level of website traffic.
- Domain age also plays a role in determining the authority of a resource.
How to Increase Link Relevance
- Find other sites that are relevant to your niche. You should focus on sites with similar audiences or related queries. Always pay attention to their domain authority in order to avoid dealing with unwanted and penalised sites.
- Write useful and educational content. Answering common queries and providing fresh content will naturally encourage users to share it.