Display advertising is a dynamic advertising message, which is an image (static or moving), video, text or sound that can be shown on various advertising platforms.
Types of display advertising
In the internet marketing environment, banner ads are often referred to as display ads. But despite the fact that the share of banner advertising in the media is the largest, it is not the only one. Display advertising includes:
- graphic and text blocks;
- native ad;
- TV synced ad.
Static or moving images of various sizes, most often contain text, sometimes sound. The main secret of banner advertising is not to tell all the information, to interest users without telling them all the information.
Stretched banner is located at the top of the site across its entire width
Pop under (pop-under) – advertising message opens in a separate browser window, sometimes on top of the current page, and sometimes unnoticed.
Expandable (screenglide / expandable) – two banners in one.
Rich media ad unfolds on top of the page content, often accompanied by audio and video.
Graphic and text blocks
The main difference from banners is that this type of advertising is disguised as a website design that eliminates some degree of irritation and increases user confidence in the message.
Video ads include commercials that are shown before (pre-roll), during (mid-roll) or after the video (post-roll), and are also displayed as a pop-up window. It can also appear as an overlay which is a small banner ad that takes up the bottom 20% of the video screen without interfering with the user’s view.
Advertising videos can be integrated into video hosting sites, social networks and highly specialized sites. The most popular platform on the Internet is YouTube.
Audio messages that run between tracks on music venues, as well as within narratives in audiobook and podcast listening services.
Provides useful information with an advertising message, may include text, images and videos. Placed on any sites with a mature audience, completely copying the design and layout, often does not differ from the rest of the page content.
The main trick is that the ad itself does not catch the eye of the user. One can read an interesting article in which there will not even be links to an advertiser – only an indirect mention in the right way, but it will still work (sometimes even better than a regular banner).
TV synced advertising
A relatively new type of advertising, in which ads on TV and on the Internet are synchronized. One watches TV, sees ads and pulls out the smartphone to read the news, go to social networks, watch a video, or do something else until the broadcast on TV starts again. The TV-sync system considers the theme of the programs that the user watched in a certain period of time and, based on this information, displays a certain advertisement on the mobile device.
Benefits of Display Advertising
- Wide audience reach – media helps to popularize a brand and bring a new product to the market.
- Setting up accurate targeting – only show ads to your target audience.
- A variety of formats – not only static and interactive banners, but also video and audio ads.
- A large selection of platforms – search engines, thematic websites, social networks, YouTube, etc.
- Solves various tasks – from increasing coverage to increasing sales.
- Analytics – statistics are collected based on views, clicks and user behavior.
- Interactivity – it is possible to add a poll or mini-game.
- Emotionality – With display ads, it’s easy to evoke emotions, empathy, anticipation, or a desire to have something.
Disadvantages of Display Ads
- Banner blindness – people are tired of advertising, so it is necessary to come up with more and more new ways to attract attention.
- Intrusion – some types of display ads, such as pop-ups, are more likely to annoy.
- Ad blockers – a user can block an ad display in the browser settings.
- Price – placement on some sites is expensive.
- Development of creatives – takes more time and requires additional costs.