In SEO optimization, interlinking plays a key role as the ranking of a site or blog in the search engine (SE) results depends on how well the linking system is built.
Types of Interlinking
It is customary to distinguish two types of linking:
What is external linking?
As it can be derived from the name, the essence of this type of linking comes down to placing natural links from one website to another, which allows redirecting the “weight”, that is, link juice of one portal to another, thereby increasing its trust or authority.
External linking of site pages is the most effective tool that can significantly increase the ranking of a site in the eyes of search engines. However, this is a rather complicated process that requires a competent approach to the selection of donor sites.
What is internal linking?
Internal linking is an obligatory part of the measures for carrying out internal site optimization. The main purpose of internal linking is to boost the statistical weight of the internal pages of a website. In simple terms, it is the link between the internal pages of the portal.
Internal linking advantages:
- this set of measures allows you to significantly save on the purchase of paid external links;
- it allows to bring the site to a leading position in the search engine results for medium-frequency and low-frequency queries;
- it is a free way to build your link juice and increase the statistical weight.
“star” method is a classic internal linking method that assumes that all pages on a website link to each other.
“circular” method is a strategy of internal linking, which involves the targeted direction of the weight to a specific page of the website;
“hierarchical” method is the method of internal linking, involving an “imitation” of the progression, i.e. one page links to two, which in turn links to the other two, and then those four link to the first one.
- with the addition of each new link, the static weight of the page to which the link leads is increased;
- there is a direct correlation between the static weight of the donor page and the acceptor page;
- with an increase in the number of links to the donor page, the static weight of the acceptor page will increase.
Proper interlinking: secrets and tips
- If possible, try to link to the home page from internal ones using the same URL;
- if there is a link to the same page, then do it with different anchors;
- do not insert more than 3 links into one material;
- when adding new content, you must immediately link to and from it.
Basic rules for interlinking
If the linking is organized properly, then such a resource in the eyes of the search engine will look much more relevant.
Therefore, consider the basic rules for competent linking:
- Always strive to link to the promoted pages, as this will distribute some of the link juice to them;
- All internal pages of a site should lead to the home page with a link. So each of them will give it a little bit of statistical weight.
- The links themselves are advised to be placed directly in the text;
- No need to go overboard with internal links. It will be enough 3 from each page. In this case, the total number of links should not exceed 150, since the more there are, the less weight they convey;
- It is not recommended to link to the same page using the same anchor text, because search engines tend to stick together identical ones. Accordingly, there will be no benefit;
- It is recommended to create a link for each new article. That is, when adding new content to the site, the links to it from the already written texts of the same subject should be made. At the same time, the same is done with the new article, which contains links to the old one;
- Organize a sitemap that contains links to all pages of the resource;
- Use anchor in a link; Read more about crowd marketing
- There should be no external links from the pages you promote;
- The article with the highest statistical weight should not be idle;
- The more pages a resource has, the higher the effect will be;
- Statistical weight needs to be applied rationally.